Your emergency plumber in Iowa City and beyond
Plumbing emergencies are stressful and can happen to anyone at anytime. Ackerman Plumbing is here for you to take the stress out of an emergency. We are your emergency plumber in Iowa City, Williamsburg, Coralville, and the rest the Corridor area.
What should you do?
Once a plumbing emergency strikes, it’s best thing to call a plumbing service right away. Ackerman Plumbing professionals can talk you through certain steps over the phone to minimize damage until we arrive to your property. Here are a few tips:
- Turn off the water: be sure to turn off the water source closest to the emergency. If it’s a large emergency, like flooding in your home, turn off your home’s main valve.
- Check the water heater during a major emergency: once the main valve is off, also turn off the water heater to avoid damage. If it’s a gas water heater, be sure to turn off the gas first.
- Assess the damage: take an inventory of the damage. The information you provide us over the phone will help us fix your plumbing faster. If there are small leaks, use plumber’s tape or rags to stop them until we arrive and be sure to keep notes of where these leaks are so we know to check them.
- Talk and listen: we’re here to help you. We can give you initial help over the phone and let you know if a situation is dangerous.
- Frozen pipes: Iowa winters mean frozen pipes. We know what to do in this emergency.
- Uncontrollably hot water: if your water is hot and won’t cool down, you likely have a water heater issue. Call us and we’ll assess the situation.
- Flooding: many issues can cause flooding in your home or commercial property: broken pipes, leaky water heater, or a malfunctioning sump pump.
- Sewage backup: there’s no mistaking this problem. We’ll help you determine the root cause and get your life back to normal.